Thursday, November 18, 2010

Letter to Las Cruces (floydder/pb)

Gutter Docket: May 15th, 2:00pm


And it would be easy to blame

the border as cultural instigator

of environmental treason

my common council

easier still

to scapegoat Mexicans

who live in this northern most Mexican city

so I blame

everyone

equally

even you common council

when I see another drifting plastic bag

another Bud Lite can

or another pile of tires baking in the sand

I see them as warnings

broken dolls

black garbage bags

the first is open

and the bones

the bones

the diapers tomatoes tacks spill out

the second closed

a baby? a body?

are you there

baby?

I’m curb watching

and car hearing

Helen

come for me

pick me up

head down

i see now

what you see

saw up and down

this walk

purple mitten

broken beer bottle

soda pop can

plastic bags

choking with styrofoam

that curls under our Cruces sun

Is it noon or one?

forgot my watch

my words of these items

you always said

“don’t look down”

“don’t look”

“don’t”

up in our last home

our last home

Helen

no, not Montana

not our walk

we always walked head down

eyes down

now there’s no amount of

maƱana malaise

that remedies my agitation today

Helen

I walk these streets unfamiliar

the daily walk after lunch

lets me out by the road

I see disease carried along

monster trucks and Wal-Mart culture

and I quake

sputter inwardly

I have to

There is no value so
loathsome

as one that embraces

the throw away culture

I resist this

I have to

as our little world down

in the desert

has become

buried under Mexican flowers

that blossom willy-nilly along roadside

I blame everyone, equally.

We all have to share this blighted plot of land

We all have to stare at Organ mountains grand

trying to remember the Indian name for them

I can’t do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment